Toronto, ON, Canada · Remote
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2023
Our Mission / Product
- We’re building better financial tools for Canadian business owners to help them save time and money.
- We’ve interviewed hundreds of Canadian SMB owner’s to understand the challenges that they face operating their businesses.
- What we heard over and over again was that paying vendors, and getting paid by their customers was one of the most time consuming parts of their jobs.
- Our first product is an easy to use tool that simplifies paying vendors, and getting paid by customers.
- So… just how big is the problem we’re solving?
- Well, in Canada there are 3.2M small and medium sized business owners and from our research on average they spend almost 2 hours per week managing their invoices and payments. That’s over 300 MILLION hours collectively wasted on a process that STILL involves paper invoices and paper cheques in the year 2022.
- That’s over 37,000,000 working days that SMB owners should be spending improving their businesses.
- This is just the first problem that we’re solving, and is only really scratching the surface of our ambitions.
- To help us turn this dream into a reality we’ve partnered with some of the best fintech angel investors and operators in Canada.
- We have Better Tomorrow Ventures, early investors in Ramp, Albert, ChipperCash, Kin, Settle, Clearco, Selfbook and Human Interest among others, as our lead investor. We’ve raised a sizeable pre-seed round to build out our founding engineering team.
Who Are We?
- Kanwar Gill (CEO) and Paolo Di Donato (COO) were a part of the early founding team at Clearco (www.clear.co) where they oversaw growth from pre product to over $100M in revenue and unicorn status in under 4 years.
- The Co-Founders are operators and executives that have led product, technical, and revenue teams and understand the complexities of finding product market fit in the early days (which just so happens to be the most fun part of building any business), as well as setting up organizations to scale.
- Kanwar started his career bootstrapping a Canadian SMB to profitability and saw first hand the lack of financial tools / software built specifically for Canadian SMBs.
- Our peers to the south of our border have plenty of solutions, from spend management tools, to advanced AP/AR automation tools, but options for Canadian SMBs are lacking and this means that running your business is still largely a manual process.
- Our goal is to help the small businesses we work with today, become bigger, better businesses tomorrow.
What We Value / Culture
- Do what you say, and say what you do is our core operating philosophy
- This means that transparency, and accountability are at the forefront of everything we do
- We will set ambitious goals
- We will support each other in achieving these goals
- We will all improve personally and as a team every single day
- Our goal is to build a world class team and together we will build Canada’s next fintech unicorn
About The Role
- As a Founding Engineer you will work directly with the founders and our first cohort of customers.
- Together, you will be responsible for architecting the technical vision for the company.
- You will have full autonomy to manage internal systems, the technology stack, and to develop the product infrastructure for scale while collaborating with the founding team and customers on the product roadmap.
- A successful Founding Engineer is a builder who wants to take ownership of a product from end to end at its most nascent stage. This is a job for someone who truly loves to build.
- We're looking for a team player that is scrappy, self-directed, collaborative and enjoys a challenge.
- When technical hurdles pop up, we have a roster of amazing technical advisors who have built massively successful products before to lean on for support.
Why You Should Join?
- You’re playing a key role in transforming the way that Canadian SMB owners run their businesses.
- We're at a very early stage and are supported by some of the best early stage fintech investors in the world, and you’ll have an opportunity to earn an early equity stake with a competitive salary, benefits and an incredible opportunity to shape our trajectory.
- Our founding team are operators/executives who have already helped build one of Canada’s fastest growing fintech companies and draw from experience that not all founding teams possess.
- We are building a distributed remote team, meaning that you can work from anywhere in Canada
The Ideal Candidate
- 3+ years experience as software developer, but what we really care about is that you’ve built products that people love from the ground up in your previous roles
- We are obsessed with creating a stellar UX for our customers and are looking for individuals that have an attention to detail when it comes to design. If you’ve worked with designers in the past, that’s a plus.
- Passion to solve hard problems and the ability to work well in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, and ambiguous environment.
Please apply with your resume or your LinkedIn profile if that is easier!