Staff Software Engineer, Data Platform Lead
About us: EvolutionIQ’s mission is to improve the lives of injured and disabled workers and enable them to return to the workforce, saving billions of dollars in avoidable costs and lost productivity to the US and global economies and make insurance more affordable for everyone. We are currently experiencing massive growth and to accomplish our goals, we are hiring world-class talent who want to help build and scale internally, and transform the insurance space. We’re backed by First Round Capital, FirstMark Capital, Foundation Capital, Brewer Lane Ventures, and have been named as Inc.’s top places to work! Our headquarters is in NYC and we are also remote friendly for many roles.
Our Team: We are founded by a senior Google AI expert and a Bridgewater Associates Algorithmic Investor & Stanford MBA. We’re not looking for employees. We’re looking for partners in work, partners in culture-building, and partners in the future of data-driven insurance. The development team consists of world class engineers and leaders from companies like Google and Bloomberg. Each individual has had great success building large scale enterprise software and is now excited to try their hand at transforming the insurance industry.
Job Summary: We are looking for a Lead Engineer for our Data Platforms who will play an integral role in securing, architecting, and managing our highly sensitive insurance data. This position is tasked with overseeing our foundational datasets, data models, and analytics. The ideal candidate will have considerable experience in creating and managing secure data platforms, a strong engineering background, and a demonstrated record of technical leadership and effective communication.
In this critical role, you will not only ensure the robustness and reliability of our data systems, but also their security and compliance with stringent industry regulations. You will navigate the complexities of insurance data, bringing technical excellence and a security-first approach to safeguard our information assets. Your keen eye for security will be instrumental in protecting our company, customers, and stakeholders, while your technical expertise will shape the future of our data platform architecture.
- Architect, design, and implement robust, secure, scalable, and high-quality data platforms, ensuring the availability, integrity, and confidentiality of the information.
- Lead the development and maintenance of data pipelines, including personally coding and building the most critical components.
- Work closely with product engineers, data scientists, analysts, and other stakeholders to understand data needs and deliver on those needs.
- Define, design, and improve foundational data models to be used across the company to enable feature development and analytics.
- Continuously improve our data quality toolkit
- Provide guidance and technical leadership to the data engineering team, promoting continual team growth and individual team member skill development.
- Be a role model for all engineers and provide mentorship as needed
- Drive proof of concepts and experiments to explore new technologies that can level up the entire organization
- 7+ years of industry experience, holding staff/principal/lead level roles in Software Engineer or Data Engineer, with a focus in building scalable, mission critical, data platforms
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Extensive Python development experience
- Experience with distributed data/computing tools, such as: Spark, Airflow, dbt
- Proven track record of establishing engineering best practices for both coding and architecture
- Experience building out systems and processes to enable secure handling of highly sensitive data
- Experience using modern big data storage technologies such as Apache Parquet or Avro
- Strong familiarity with modern data warehouse such as BigQuery or Snowflake
- Ambitious, collaborative, and empathetic values
Even Better if You Have:
- You have at least 3+ years experience in deploying systems on GCP or AWS
- Experience with MLOps, such as feature engineering and model serving
- You have worked with Dagster/Airflow, BigQuery, GCP, Terraform, Kubernetes, sklearn, keras/TensorFlow/pytorch, dbt, data modeling, Python/Pandas data frameworks, and scalable technical concepts/solutions
The Fit: We’re a team of architects and visionaries who thrive on being first. We’ve created a fun, passionate, humorous, friendly, and fiercely-driven engineering culture that values delivery and personal impact above everything else. We are open to sponsoring candidates who currently are in the US and need to transfer their active H1-B visa.
Work-life, Culture & Perks:
- Compensation: The range is $210-240K depending on a candidate’s background and experience.
- Well-Being: Full medical, dental, vision, short- & long-term disability, 401k matching. 100% of the employee contribution up to 3% and 50% of the next 2%
- Work/Life Balance: Work from home / work from NYC (whether you’re local to NYC or visiting us on a company-paid trip), or join us at our annual company offsite
- Home & Family: Flexible PTO, 100% paid parental leave (4 months for primary caregivers and 3 months for secondary caregivers), sick days, paid time off. For new parents returning to work we offer a flexible schedule. We also offer sleep training to help you and your family navigate life schedules with a newborn
- We also have a flexible vacation policy and are closed for winter break at the end of the year
- Office Life: Catered lunches, happy hours, and pet-friendly office space. $500 for your in home office setup and $200/year for upgrades every year after your initial setup
- Growth & Training: $1,000/year for each employee for professional development, as well as upskilling opportunities internally
- Sponsorship: We are open to sponsoring candidates currently in the U.S. who need to transfer their active H1-B visa
EvolutionIQ appreciates your interest in our company as a place of employment. EvolutionIQ is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees
Something looks off?