Innovation Scout Internship
We are currently building a team of Innovation Scouts (5 - 10 hrs/week at $20/hr) with expertise in one or more of the following areas: materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, biology, biological engineering, crop science and related fields. Your primary focus will be identifying universities scientists, engineers and early-stage startups capable of addressing the technology needs of our corporate sponsors. Work can be done remotely and on your own schedule. Internship lasts ~10 weeks with potential for extension into a part-time or full-time role. Read on to learn more about who you are and what you’ll do, or check out our reviews on Glassdoor.
Who you are:
- You are a PhD graduate student or Postdoc in materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, biology, biomedical engineering, crop science or related fields
- You are a resourceful and creative problem-solver with a can-do attitude
- You are excited to be part of an early-stage social impact startup that can help advance science and positively impact the world
- You can communicate complex scientific concepts to non-technical audiences
- You have an interest in learning about academic/industry collaboration and getting exposure to large corporate R&D practices
- Bonus points for prior experience in applied research and/or tech scouting
- More bonus points for prior experience conducting industry-sponsored research
What you'll do:
- You will devise a simple technology landscape and plan of attack for canvasing scientific journals, technologies and startups capable of addressing the technology challenges of our corporate sponsors. See some examples here.
- You will conduct independent, self-directed research using popular publication, grant and patent databases (PubMed, SBIR/STTR, NSF, Google Scholar, Google Patents, etc.) and tech scouting tools (Semantic Search, Clarivate, CB Insights, Pitchbook, etc.)
- You will dream up and test other clever (possibly genius) approaches for sourcing partners and potential solutions outside the more old-school, traditional tactics.