Founding Brand Designer
Posted on Friday, February 9, 2024
Kindred is a members-only home swapping network that unlocks the ability to live a travel-rich lifestyle through the power of community. By exchanging primary residences with trusted peers, renters and owners alike can match with Kindred spirits and explore new destinations without breaking the bank.
We are on a mission to build a sharing economy that lives up to the name, and we’ve raised $26.5M+ from some of the best investors in Silicon Valley to do so, including Andreessen Horowitz, New Enterprise Associates, Bessemer Venture Partners, Caffeinated Capital, Elad Gil, and the founders of Opendoor, Figma, ClassPass, Clubhouse, Divvy, Gem, and Homebound.
The co-founders are proven leaders from the early team at proptech company Opendoor ($15B+ exit), and have each separately built and scaled products that today do $1B+ annual revenue combined.
We’re looking for the world’s top builders, executors, and believers to join us on this ride.
Kindred is looking for a Founding Brand Designer to help build the future of travel. In this role, you'll work closely with our co-founders and cross-functional leaders to evolve our brand, and bring it to life across our end to end customer experience, including the digital product, physical assets, external marketing and internal comms. You’ll be expected to drive your own work independently while collaborating with your stakeholders in product, marketing, operations and social.
The ideal candidate for this role is someone who is a generalist brand designer who can be dangerous with a range of skillsets, including visual, brand, illustration, web UI and ad/marketing assets. Please be prepared to show a broad experience working on a variety of projects with multiple partners and on tight timelines, in fast paced environments.
All applications must link to work samples or include a portfolio.
What You’ll Do:
- Evolve the Kindred brand: You'll play a prominent role in helping us further codify the brand (colors, illustration, motion, and more), developing a stronger point of view and making Kindred a household name in design.
- Concept and execute brand experiences for marketing, brand & content: You’ll shape the campaigns and brand expressions that Kindred presents to the world through social, ads, web, email, packaging, and print
- Collaborate with product teams to create in-product and physical assets: You’ll partner with product designers on projects that require brand visuals, such as illustrations for in-product education, livekindred.com redesigns, email comms, and more
- Up-level internal branding: You’ll own the execution of branded experienced for internal assets such as presentations, events, and swag
- Execute visual/brand design at the highest quality: Strong visual design skills are a must
- Articulate & drive design decisions: Explore a variety of concepts to narrow in on the best possible solution, and bring others along in that journey
- Advocate for design craft: You’ll need to be thoughtful in considering tradeoffs with XFN partners, and consistently push to up-level our overall design craft
- Be resourceful and adapt quickly: Quickly adapt to short- and long-term requests, and occasionally some urgent needs
- Prioritize independently: Effectively prioritize and execute work given rapid timelines
- Attention to detail: meticulous when it comes to typography, grids, balance, and white space
You may be a right fit for this role if you:
- Have at least 5+ years of experience in digital brand design
- Experience building strong, ambitious, and iconic brands with a strong emphasis on design
- Extensive experience with web design, such as landing page redesigns
- Strong portfolio with proven understanding of brand, website, email, social media, digital media, animation, video, collateral/presentation and experiential design as well as composition, color, imagery, and photography
- Have an owner's attitude – you don’t hesitate to initiate spontaneous research, take on a swag request or spin up a template when no one has asked
- Know when to apply the appropriate level of fidelity to your work, being conscious of deadlines & deliverables to communicate your solution
Strong advantage if:
- Have animation and motion graphic skills
- Have illustration skills
- Comfortable art directing photographers, videographers, illustrators, and other designers
- Have experience with creating icon systems
- At Kindred, we know that good things happen when we look out for one another. We offer teammates the following benefits:
- A vibrant, inclusive, and highly skilled team that ferociously protects team chemistry
- A culture of championship(vs. just mentorship), feedback, and continual development
- Competitive cash compensation and equity
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Full health benefits
- UNLIMITED free credits for stays at Kindred homes during your time as an employee
- Quarterly $1,000 travel stipend to use toward travel costs to stay at a Kindred home
- Remote-flexible work environment. We encourage team members to travel and adventure!
- Global WeWork passes so you can work comfortably from wherever you are
- Regular off-sites to co-locate with the team
At Kindred, we embrace diverse perspectives, ideas, and backgrounds. We’re committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Kindred doesn’t discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic, including race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, family care or medical leave status, marital status, domestic partner status, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by US federal, state or local laws, or the laws of the country or jurisdiction where you work.